Thursday, April 7, 2016

trees and forests and home

Human beings need a place to call home
a place where roots grow deeper than family tress 
and there are tiny handprints in the driveway.
they resemble the curve of your ring finger
and you remember the time your brothers tickled you so much you almost peed your pants but you started crying instead. 
it’s where your thoughts go when they have no other place to rest and your soul does too 
and you were taught to forgive without being apologized to
a place of refuge of relief or so it should be
but your too often reminded of words that cut into you, deep to the core, 
and they don’t make band-aids big enough for tree branches. 
Home
its over protective brothers and almost I love you’s 
suddenly your 17 and you swear you were just 15 
and you wonder how trees survive through all the different seasons, through sickness, and initials carved into their skin surrounded by hearts.
and you are reminded of a forest, of feeling so small surrounded by trees who have been around for hundreds of years. 
you're 17 and your almost 18 
so you keep reminding yourself boys in navy blue suits aren’t home. 
and to not be surprised if one day he puts up a for sale sign right across his heart
home hasn’t been home for quite some time now and you think your soul is starting to notice.
and you're afraid to tell them where you got your scars  
so you just tell them 
you should see my family tree 
there are x’s and o’s but not in the traditional way 
you ask yourself what keeps you grounded, rooted to this place 
to life
and you tell them you were built with a cage in your chest that protects who you are
and your surrounded by a forest 
and no matter how many scars your family tree has, you will always keep growing 
stretching up towards the sun and every spring you will turn over a new leaf and 

you will grow. 



7 comments:

  1. i relate to this very much. metaphors are killer

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding me! this is so unreal. this is so good. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even have words to describe how in awe I am of all this. This is one of my new favorites and I want to memorize it and repeat it through my head for days.

    "and you were taught to forgive without being apologized to"

    "home hasn’t been home for quite some time now and you think your soul is starting to notice.
    and you're afraid to tell them where you got your scars"

    These speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm listening to the second song in your playlist (Berlin) and it's all starting to make sense.

    This is a beautiful piece of writing.

    I'm left thinking about age and 15 and 17 and 18 and I'm 36 and my dad's 61 and my son just turned 12 and I'm reading this book called Room about this girl who was kept in a shed for 7 years and what is time really and

    i guess I'm just trying to say that your writing makes me think and that means something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So you keep reminding yourself boys in navy suits aren't home."

    Damn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so obsessed with this. I wanna say "you are INCREDIBLE" but that's totally an understatement.

    thanks for your writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep writing, you are AWESOME !

    ReplyDelete